Lake Arenal and Arenal Volcano National Park - Costa Rica
Lake Arenal is located near the popular active Arenal Volcano in north-western Costa Rica. Lake Arenal is the largest lake in Costa Rica and has a unique history, this lake was originally one third of its size and was eventually enlarged by building a dam on the old lake and then expanding to its current size. After its completion the hydroelectric power generated by it is the source of the majority of power used in the country.
Monteverde cloud forest is also located close to the lake. The depth of lake varies between 100 to 200 meters. The lake is famous for several activities including kayaking, windsurfing, mountain biking, horseback riding and more. The volcano heats several hot springs nearby, Many tourists swim and laze in the hot thermal waters of Tabcon hot springs. Others like to do fishing as these waters have plenty of the Machaca and Bass fishes. Arenal Volcano erupts on an average every 5 to 10 minutes and is the fourth most active volcano in the world.
Arenal Volcano National Park is rich in flora and fauna, Apart from enjoying the nature's beauty there are many other activities around this place:
• The Corobici River flows from Lake Arenal westward into the Pacific Lowlands and Ocean. Aorobici River Float is great for bird watching and nature observation. The river is bordered by tropical forest with many crocodiles, iguanas, otters, coatis and more.
• La Fortuna waterfalls are just 3 kilometers from Lake Arenal and are also a popular tourism destination.
• Arenal Botanical Gardens is a great collection of tropical and exotic plants and also houses Butterfly Farm and Hummingbird Reserve.
• Venado Caverns that were formed by the rushing underground water through the limestone rocks, dating back over 7 million years. You can crawl through narrow openings and see the various rock formations.
• The volcano is surrounded by lush rainforest and mountains. The Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve is visited by thousands of tourists and scientists each year because of its great ecological diversity.
• Enjoy horseback riding for hours or full days through the spectacular region of the Lake Arenal.
• Excellent Bird watching.
• Canopy Tour, Tennis and White Water Rafting on the Penas Blancas River are also quite popular.
Where to Stay:
There are many hotels in this area, you should select only the hotels with the best viewing of the lava flow. There are many places offering a good quality to value ratio.